Can you use yoga to lose fat? Duh! Here are a few poses that help tone your arms, belly, and low back:
1. High Plank: tones your arms, if you hold it for 20 seconds or more while breathing, it’ll tones your belly, arms, obliques, quads, calves… everything really.
- Make it harder: lift one arm at a time, triceps near your ears just like in #tadasana, keep your weight equal in your hand and both feet.
- Make it easier: come down on your knees, keep your tail bone tucked!
2. Knee- to-nose: Start in downdog, then actually bring your knee to your nose, it’ll feel life your more in a plank, then kick it back out.
- Make it harder: hold for 20 seconds, arch you back like in #catpose or bring your knee to your opposite elbow
- Make it easier: Start in a table top, then bring your knee to your nose. Kick your leg behind you each time. Squeeze your glutes on your grounded leg.
3. Half Moon: Gets rid of the back fat, or muffin top. Tones your obliques big time, as well as your legs. Distribute your weight evenly on you standing foot, keep your leg inline with your hip.
- Make it harder: float your bottom hand off the ground for 10-20 seconds AND breathe
- Make it easier: use a block for your bottom hand. Keep you leg high though ;)
And yes! By linking all these poses together, they do work. “Yoga” translated directly is linking body, breath, mind, and heart together- in asanas. It’s a lifestyle choice, just as any workout regimen. If you do just these poses everyday, sure you’ll see a difference however you’ll really notice the most change in your body if you practice 3 times a week. Yoga tones muscle, increases flexibility and calms your mind.
After the first time of doing hot yoga you’ll start to lose water weight, in 3 or 4 classes you’ll begin to notice that your body is sore in places you never knew existed, then after a month or so you’ll realize how much more flexible you are and look better naked :)
Try these poses and tell me what you think. Got other poses I should try? Holler!! Write me, I’m always looking for more #fatburing tricks.